A couple of months ago, I (somehow) initiated a new project: Creating a ScummVM engine for the game ‘The Clue!’, originally released in 1994.
‘The Clue!’, originally known as ‘Der Clou!’, was developed and published by the Austrian games studio ‘neo Software Produktions GmbH’. Some sources say that the game was published by ‘Max Design’, but that’s not really certain. However, we know for sure that the UK release was published by ‘Kompart UK’.
A couple of days ago, the ScummVM Team officially released ScummVM 2.1.1, codenamed “:More Sheep:”. This new release includes several improvements and a large amount of bugfixes. Not only the game engines, but also the ScummVM GUI and networking stack received improvements. Let’s have a closer look at the updates that were made for ScummVM 2.1.1.
Amongst other things, the developers fixed a bug that could lead to a crash when switching between certain languages in the GUI. Additionally, changes made to the options dialog won’t be erroneously saved when the dialog is left using the ESC key.
Due to a bug in current versions of Manjaro, it is not possible to change the screen resolution if Manjaro is running as a VMware guest. Neither changing the resolution manually nor using the “Fit Guest Now” option is working correctly. Since the screen resolution is pinned to 800×600 pixels, it’s almost impossible to properly use the VM. I was able to reproduce the issue with my VM running Manjaro with the KDE desktop.
In comparison to other Linux distributions, Gentoo handles kernel installations and upgrades quite differently. While other distributions deploy new kernel release over their package management, Gentoo only packages the kernel sources. It’s up to the user to compile and install the kernel in a second step. Gentoo developer Michał Górny is about to change that with the introcution of an official Gentoo kernel.
Traditionally, configuring and installing the kernel is done either manually or simplified by using
genkernel. While configuring the own kernel allows a high level of adjustment to the hardware in use or to specific workloads, genkernel creates a more “generic” kernel.
Since 1991, the Aminet is the source for free and public domain software for the Amiga. Since I’m using the Aminet by myself quite often, I decided to run my own mirror server.
Since a few months I’m running my own build server for the Windows versions of ScummVM. Originally, the server was intended to replace my previous toolchain based on MSYS2 and to provide self-contained (avoiding DLL hell) and continuously updated Win32 binaries.
In the meantime, this project evolved quite a bit. Currently, the official Windows versions of ScummVM as well as the Nightly Builds are built by this server. As you can imagine, the term “experimental” doesn’t really fit anymore, even though I’m still referring to this server as my staging environment.
Over the last couple of years, I aquired a nice collection of various domains. Since I only keep them for historical purposes, I decided to redirect all domains to this blog domain. Usually, you can achieve such a redirection by simply pointing all your domains to the same virtual host within your webserver configuration in case you are using WordPress. However, this won’t work when using some caching plugins. Some .htaccess magic will help though.
For my ScummVM nightly server, I’m using the apache2 module mod_autoindex. I noticed that – even though I enabled UTF-8 support in the apache configuration – one vHost was still served with ISO-8859 encoding.
The problem is that the autoindex module simply ignores the global charset settings. Instead, it insists on using ISO-8859 for the vHost without further configuration.
In order to enable UTF-8 for sites generated by mod_autoindex, the parameter
Charset=UTF-8 must be added to the
IndexOptions of the specific vHost configuration.
By default, Gentoo is using the rsync protocol to distribute it’s portage tree. For synchronizing a lot of smaller files, this protocol is rock-solid.
However, this method comes with a small drawback. To ensure the integrity of the downloaded files, they are signed with an OpenGPG key. First, the files are downloaded into a quarantine directory. Afterwards, portage is trying to validate the signatures and only if the signatures match the local portage tree will be overwritten with the newly synced files. The problem with this method is that the signature check is pretty slow, especially on lower-end systems. In my experience, it can take up to several minutes until the update is completed.
Fortunately, we can tell portage to use git instead of rsync for updating the portage tree.